Friday 19 August 2011

Review of Slap - follow-ups welcome

As I've been dragging my heels on a review of Slap, Chris has kindly supplied us with his thoughts and Jackie's. (Perhaps we can follow up with our views via comments - I know there are a couple of different ones out there??)

As for the book, The Slap, well neither of us thought much of it - I don't know how it came to be considered for the Booker. Jackie didn't like any of the characters and i don't believe the incident would have instigated the level of subsequent events. If the characters portrayed are a good representation of modern 30/40 something Australians, then it doesn't say much for them. I think the best I would say about the book was that it maintained a consistent level/standard of writing throughout but most of the characters were boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment